Monday, January 4, 2010

What I've Learned From Cancer



Having breast cancer has been an unexpected learning experience. Here are some of the things I've learned.
  • Support comes from surprising places. Some people disappoint. More importantly, some people surprise. My son's basketball team showed their support by wearing pink socks and sweat bands at the first ball game (and they won). That also happened to be the day I had surgery.

  • More people are diagnosed now with breast cancer than in the past. Fewer people die from breast cancer than in the past.

  • Lumpectomy has been renamed Breast Conservation Surgery. (For whatever reason, that seems funny and peculiar to me.)

  • Cancer can be random, familial or genetic.

  • There is one lab in the country that does testing to see if cancer is genetic in your family. It's in Salt Lake City. Even though my sister and I were both diagnosed this year, it is not genetic in either of us.
  • It's possible to have breast cancer in other parts of your body!
  • You can have from 400-1000 lymph nodes in your body.

  • Surgery to remove lymph nodes can cause nerve damage. However, nerves will slowly regenerate over time!

  • Radiation treatment is now done in a matter of 2-3 minutes.


Thanks to my friends and family that have been so supportive through this "adventure". And thanks to the faithful who consistently pray for cancer patients.



No comments: